Mark your calendars for August 3 & 4! Protect Wood County and its Neighbors is sponsoring a water testing drive for Saratoga and neighboring communities. The actual analysis will be performed at the state-certified Water and Environmental Analysis Lab on the UW-Stevens Point campus.
How does it work?
Step 1: Register ahead of time to secure your spot (registration and payment is required to participate)
As part of the registration process, you will need to choose a water testing package. Two years ago most households opted for the more comprehensive Basic Homeowners Package:
- Basic Homeowner Package ($52 + $4.80 processing fee): This is the basic test package recommended for all private wells. Tests for coliform bacteria, nitrate, chloride, pH, total hardness, alkalinity, conductivity, and saturation index. If coliform bacteria is detected the sample will also be checked for the presence of E.coli, an indicator that the well is contaminated with human or animal waste.
- Nitrate & Chloride Only ($32 + $3.58 processing fee): Tests for nitrate and chloride. Sources of nitrate are fertilizers, manure/other bio-solids, and/or septic systems. Natural levels of nitrate are generally less than 2 mg/L. Chloride is also another indicator of land use impacts; sources include fertilizers, septic systems and/or road salt; natural levels of chloride are generally less than 10 mg/L. Routine measurement of both nitrate and chloride are useful for understanding whether groundwater quality is changing over time.
There are two ways to register:
- Pre-register online by clicking HERE. You will be paying via a credit card and a processing fee will be added. (Click “TICKETS” to register online and select which test you would like).
- Call (715) 325-5678 and leave a message with your name and phone number.
- Take your chances and just show up. If there are still test kits available you may register and pay by check at the Saratoga Town Hall on Saturday, August 3 from 9AM to 4PM. Please note that we cannot guarantee you a spot if you wait until the day-of.
Step 2: Pick Up Well Water Sample Bottle and Instructions on Saturday August 3rd between the hours of 9AM and 4PM
You may pick up your water test bottles at Saratoga Town Hall.
Step 3: Collect Water Sample & Drop Off on Sunday, August 4th anytime between 9AM and 4PM
Collect your water sample on Sunday and return the filled sample to the Saratoga Town Hall. It is important that you wait until Sunday to collect your sample. We will put your sample on ice and deliver it to UWSP Monday morning.
Step 4: Receive and learn about your results
Your sample results will be mailed to you approximately 3-4 weeks after the lab receives your sample. Interpretive information will be mailed along with your results. If you have additional questions, you will be able to attend an optional educational program conducted by a water quality specialist from UW-Stevens Point. Time to be determined.